Friday, January 06, 2006

Bringing the experience home NOW...

Being that the Internet is a commodity these days, the blogs have been few and far between. Just another daily reminder of how Hurricane Katrina has affected the lives of the good people of New Orelans.

As we pack our bags, eat some King Cake (a New Orleans tradition on January 6th), and plan for our final reflection with the group, words truly cannot encapsulate the experience that was New Orleans: our real World (NOW). Yesterday was our last work day and how appropriate that we worked with the same Sisters (Kathleen and Margaret) with whom we began the week. They and all the people of New Orleans have been incredibly gracious in welcoming us into their sacred, devastated homes. Working alongside these witty, compassionate, and truly Faith-filled nuns, I learned something about the power of Faith.

In spite of all that these people have to overcome (and trust me when I say there is still a GREAT DEAL more to be done before New Orleans is back on its feet), they are blessed with the friendships and helping hands of their friends, families and neighbors who have all gone throught this tragedy together. Through it all, Faith in God has helped many to prevail and see a light that I initially could never see. It is "NOW" up to the 14 of us to not only bring our peronal bonds home and continue the conversations, but to open our hearts, minds, and knowledge of what we have seen to all we will meet upon our return. We need to show others that the people are still displaced and that we as humans are committed to working with them to bring about social change. The road ahead may be an uphill climb for these newfound friends of ours, but through prayer and a commitment to service, I have no doubt that New Orleans WILL BE BACK!

4 Comments:

At 2:12 PM, Anonymous Erika Rendeiro said...

I have been reading the blog for the past two days and am truly amazed by your experiences. Even though it upsets me that I missed out on being there with all of you, I want you to know that you were all I thought about this week.
Love Always,
Erika

 
At 5:20 PM, Anonymous Jen O'Neil said...

I am so fortunate to have gone to New Orleans and experience it all first hand. I have learned more about myself within this past week than I ever thought possible. I am honored to have been side by side with 13 of my new friends. I miss you all already.

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Jimmy Huck said...

To all the "Hawks in New Orleans" that I had the pleasure to speak to yesterday afternoon and share my thoughts with you, I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart for walking with all of us directly affected by this tragedy. Please continue to keep New Orleans and its people in your thoughts and prayers, and speak your reflections to your family and friends whenever you have the chance.

As I said to you yesterday, when you are looking at everything and nothing all at once, faith is the only thing that makes the next step possible. Thanks for contributing to and strengthening the faith that sustains us here in New Orleans and will ultimately save us.

 
At 2:31 PM, Anonymous Daughterlightening said...

Megan, I'm not surprised at the names of the 2 amazing nuns you met. They are a prelude to the faith and good works that will arrive come summer by the IRISH BRIGADE. The McPARLAND CLAN should arrive at Irish Weekend via New Orleans. Aunt Kathy has a sign up sheet. Thanks for all the hard work and inspiration you great young uns' bring us Aunt Mickens

 

Post a Comment

<< Home